A Specialized Pediatric Feeding Group Our individualized, play-based, therapeutic feeding program systematically assists children who have a variety of feeding challenges. This creative feeding group brings together the unique but complementary expertise from the fields of occupational, physical and speech therapies that provide consultation and support families to assist each child with their unique feeding needs. Although the emphasis of this program is on improving feeding abilities and enjoyment of meals, other developmental areas are addressed including social-emotional, adaptive, communication, fine motor and cognition.
This program is ideal for infants as young as 18 months and toddlers up to 36 months of age who are demonstrating feeding difficulties characterized by any of the following:
- Problems progressing from thin liquids via bottle or cup, pureed to solid foods
- Restricted food repertoire or unable to manage varied and textured foods
- Oral sensitivity and hyperactive or absent “gag” reflex
- Having a limited food repertoire or avoidance behaviors
- Poor weight gain or failure to thrive, those medically cleared to receive dysphagia facilitation
- Craniofacial anomalies
- Other conditions may be considered on a case by case basis upon review by UCP and RCOC specialist.
Children who are picky eaters, who have difficulty gaining weight, have a limited food repertoire, or those who have difficulty transitioning between consistencies of foods can benefit from participating in this group. Call our office to learn more.